As you may know, dental implants are an outstanding solution for missing teeth. They’re superior to other options because they offer unparalleled strength, stability, and appearance. But what if you’re like many people and have always been anxious about dental work? Understandably, you might want to know whether the process is painful before making your decision.
In this blog, we’ll discuss what you can expect during the implant procedure – it’s probably less involved than you thought! Then we’ll review how IV sedation can help you if you struggle with dental phobia. With this sedation option, you can rest assured knowing that you’ll get all the benefits of dental implants in Chicago, without the fear or anxiety!
Is the Implant Process Painful?
Many people who get an implant report that the appointment was no more difficult than getting a simple filling and that the pain was minimal. Here are the basic steps involved:
- First, you’ll be numbed and your dentist will make sure you’re comfortable.
- Second, the implant itself, which is actually a small titanium post, will be placed in the jaw. The procedure generally takes around two hours.
- For a week or two afterward you may have some mild discomfort in the area, but you can take over-the-counter pain medication to manage it.
- Then, the implant will be given between 3-6 months to integrate, or fuse, with your existing jawbone. During this time you won’t feel much of anything and can eat and function normally.
- Finally, a custom-made crown will be made that precisely matches your teeth in shape and color. Once it’s attached to your new implant, your restoration will be complete.
How Can IV Sedation Help You?
If you still feel some anxiety around this procedure, we understand! That’s why we offer IV sedation.
Many people think this is the same as the general anesthesia they would get before a hospital surgery but it’s actually different. The main difference is that you’ll still be somewhat conscious.
Here are some of the benefits you can expect from IV sedation:
- Although you’ll be somewhat aware of your surrounding, you’ll be very deeply relaxed. This is why it’s sometimes called “sleep dentistry”.
- You won’t feel any pain during the procedure.
- You won’t remember anything from the appointment at all.
- Just like when you’ve woken up from a deep sleep, you won’t know that any time has passed.
If you think you’d be a good candidate for dental implant placement in Chicago and you’re interested in IV sedation, the first step is contacting an oral surgeon to schedule a consultation.
Thankfully, we live in a day-and-age when you can get the results you’re after without fear, so why not take advantage of all that modern dentistry has to offer?
About the Author
Dr. Firas Katabi and Dr. Emily Smythe are pleased to offer solutions that can ease the fears of even the most phobic patient. Combining years of experience and training with a compassionate chairside manner, they’re dedicated to providing the most comfortable dental experience possible. If you have any questions, they can be reached via their website or at (773) 486-2220.